An old church in a modern guise
Often known as St Martin le Grand and most famous for the clock overhanging York's main shopping street, St Martin dates from at least the 11th century and was one of York's main parish churches and the civic church. It was largely destroyed by bombing on 29 April 1942. In the 1960s the surviving south aisle and tower were incorporated in a rebuilding on a smaller scale under the direction of the leading church architect George Pace. It was re-hallowed in April 1968 with a dedication to peace and reconciliation. It is open daily.
St Helen has been united with St Martin Coney Street for many years. We now share a priest, the Reverend Jane Nattrass, with our neighbouring parishes of All Saints Pavement, St Denys, and St Olave.